Position: Data Analyst
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
At Pula, we are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide.
We work in 14 countries across Africa and Asia, and in 2019, we facilitated crop insurance cover to over
- million farmers across Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia and Malawi.
Pula is fast-paced, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges. We are a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, we are:
- Customer Obsessed: Pula’s insurance protects those who feed the world, and we are obsessed with delivering value to smallholder farmers as we build the systems that protect them against catastrophic risks together with global insurers, businesses and international NGOs.
- Groundbreaking: We stretch the limits of what’s possible, bringing agricultural insurance to places where it has never been before.
- Warriors in the trenches together: we recognize that building real sustainable businesses for agriculture in Africa are rare, and so we have to have each others back as we build this new Africa.
- Make it happen: We execute at a high level, even in complex circumstances and with tight seasonal deadlines, with the goal of building a sustainable and profitable enterprise
We have been funded by venture capital investors (Omidyar Network, ACCION, MercyCorps) and global NGOs (MasterCard Foundation, CGAP/World Bank as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation).
The Data Analyst
Working Under the Vision, guidance and direction of the Global Director field Operations, Pula is seeking the services of an experienced analyst who will be responsible for data management and analysis, problem identification and resolution to ensure integrity of the data, Implementation of department strategies. The ideal candidate will be data driven, good at documentation, project management, and shifting comfortably between strategy and execution.
- Run operations data quality checks as per SOPs
- Support follow up work from support desk as and when required
- Communicate to field staff as and when required
- Use a combination of data analytics and project knowledge to identify risks and problems in a project
- Update your manager daily, weekly, and ad-hoc as required
- Make recommendations for potential solutions when problems are found in the field
- Write documents such as trainings or protocols as and when required
- Assist in survey creation as required
- Assist in sampling or other CCE/Survey work as required
- Be available on Slack every day
- Be available on the phone during work hours
- Use all designated tools and software as required
- Maintain honesty and transparency at all times
- Use direct forms of communication: if there is a problem, say so. If you have feedback, say so.
- Accept feedback from your peers and superiors with genuine listening and endeavor to improve whenever provided with constructive feedback
- Determine appropriate methods to perform data quality checks, analyzing data and operations
- Identify gaps in current data quality checks SOPs and advise on improvements
- Developing new processes and procedures to enhance operations.
- Training field staff to use new systems or follow new processes
- Determining the effectiveness of new processes
- Documenting findings, preparing reports, and making recommendations
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCES
- Master’s Degree in Statistics,Economics,Agricultural Economics. Agribusiness Management, Information Systems, with at least 5 years Experience in a busy NGO.
- Expertise in using specialists statistical analysis software and data visualization techniques e.g PowerBI or Similar
- Ability to translate and present complex information to diverse audiences through clear writing and excellent verbal communication skills
- Experience with new applications and innovations e.g mobile data collection technologies e.g Commcare
- Ability develop technical data into presentations
- Ability to work with successfully with diverse groups, partners, colleagues and a team player
- Work well both independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to effectively perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities while meeting deadlines
PULA is an equal opportunities employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Jobseekers are strongly advised to not indulge in any monetary engagement with any source in the name of guaranteed interviews or placements with employees