Position: WEST AFRICA REGIONAL LEAD
Location: West Africa (Preferred countries include but not limited to Senegal/Togo/Ghana)
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
At Pula, we are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide.
We work in 12 countries across Africa and Asia, and in 2019, we facilitated crop insurance cover to over
- million farmers across Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia and Malawi.
Pula is fast-paced, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges. We are a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, we are:
- Obsessed with results: We are responsible for our future and therefore we get things done!
- Connect the Dots: We continuously identify different customer needs & business problems and build solutions that deliver value.
- Have a Can do Attitude! We dare to do things differently to make things work.
- We have each others’ back: We look out for each other & we share high quality, timely feedback that makes us better.
We have been funded by venture capital investors (Omidyar Network, ACCION, MercyCorps) and global NGOs (MasterCard Foundation, CGAP/World Bank as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation).
WEST AFRICAN REGION LEAD
Pula is seeking an experienced Operations leader to join the Global Operations team and grow our ability to serve farmers worldwide. The incumbent must have a love for solving challenging problems and structuring complex processes, while also being comfortable building a cutting-edge ag-tech startup.
The West African Regional Lead is expected to dive into the details of how to roll out large scale, field based work at national and sub national levels in multiple counties at once. Day to day work involves reviewing incoming data and data patterns, setting and tracking budgets and spending, reviewing the work done by our Customer Support teams, working with staff on data quality checks, writing and updating protocol, training large teams, advising and liaising with the Commercial and Insurance teams, and up to 40% travel when required, among other duties.
Candidates are expected to be very fluent with what operations looks like at the field level,--there is no replacement for seeing things for yourself and often doing things yourself. Applicants should love the art of management, being data driven, documentation, and shifting comfortably between strategy thinking and execution.
The West African Regional lead will report to the Global Operations Lead, while also working closely with country leads and other management positions
A detailed job description for the position is as follows:
- Strategic Development
- Test and develop and manage systematized execution steps for handling client-level data collection needs.
- Test and develop and manage staffing structures that can be adapted for both existing and new clients in relation to in-field data collection
- Scope/research/outline new opportunities for client-level work as requested
- Implement company co working and sharing tools and systems
- Client-Specific Deliverables
- Identify, design and set up and manage data collection effort and team across Pula’s client including
- Products and services in Senegal, Ghana, Togo and likely additional markets.
- Oversee high quality data collection for Predictive Yield models
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with key partners and stakeholders across the private and public sector to ensure smooth running of project operations.
- Coordinate with the sales lead and provide monthly progress reports for all field operations activities.
- Oversee the systems and processes that drive our Customer Support systems
- Review and implement standardized training protocols---make them better, more effective, more scalable
- Evaluate efficiency of service delivery and operations using spending data, while actioning strategic initiatives to keep costs low.
- Support the innovation team to test and pilot new products and initiatives
- Other operational work
- Design data collection tools as needed
- Organize logistics for data collection as needed (may be for multiple countries)
- Write content for any stakeholders as asked (internal, clients, etc)
- Other assignments as tasked
The right applicant would have the following skillset:
- 5 years + experience doing multi-country implementations
- Agricultural experience--can be from private sector or social enterprise
- Deep commitment to the "art of management" and nuances of modern management practice
- Willingness to get things done whenever needed- when needed do it yourself
- Flexible to travel up to 60% of the time
- Experience with working in data -rich settings
- Great at content generation such as materials for training or internal policies, or types of write ups.
- Excellent communication skills--both in person and when using remote methods
- You are comfortable with GSuite applications (Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.) and are able to adapt to new systems easily (e.g., Asana, Slack, Jira)
- You are passionate about helping smallholder farmers build resilience
To learn more about Pula:
- TED Talk: Crop Insurance, an Idea Worth Seeding
- New York Times: He Grew up on a Farm. Now, He Helps Protect Them
- The Economist: The Poor, Who Most Need Insurance, Are Least Likely to Have It
We accept applications on a rolling basis but recommend applying as soon as possible.